Croda’s Textured Hair Routine Formulation Kit – an answer to the specific needs of people with textured hair
I’m pretty sure people with textured hair wouldn’t share the same experience. They have been faced with the same choices as me for years, clearly not adapted to their hair, and have had to deal with this, often choosing to straighten their hair to comply with social norms and facilitate their hair care routine. But that was only until now, as curls are embraced more and more. This global empowerment leads to a better recognition of all curl types that exist and encourages brands to offer more adapted solutions for textured hair. But first, it is essential to better understand textured hair needs and that’s where I come in!
This is probably the part I would never fully understand as I never experienced it myself, but I think it is important to be said so people can better appreciate how embracing textured hair is much more than an aesthetic manner.
Some women in the focus group mentioned the strong social pressure they felt when they were younger to follow the established beauty standards at that time. When having their natural hair, they sometimes faced racial prejudice, especially at school where they were hearing their hair described as ugly and dirty for example. In the absence of role models with textured hair and adapted hair care products, most of them chemically straightened their hair. It was more convenient at every level!
The advent of social media changed that perception. They have disrupted usual influence channels and offered more diverse role models. It has helped the creation of a more supportive network with followers that felt, and still feel, more empowered for change. Where wearing natural hair was a sign of protest against ‘established’ beauty standards and racial discrimination in the 60s in the United States, we realize the meaning is not far removed from that today either. The rising number of consumers motivated to transition and leave their hair natural claim to do it for several reasons: for the sake of their hair obviously, mistreated for years with straightening treatments, but also to stand against the prevailing standards, like their peers in the past, and most of all, as a proof of self-love and a sign of self-acceptance.
But it would be wrong to imagine that this is a simple decision, caring for textured hair is far from being a smooth ride.
What are the challenges and needs of textured hair?
It is difficult to ignore the visual differences between straight and textured hair, and it is directly linked to their inner characteristics. Textured hair grows in a follicle with a specific angle and a U- or C-shape that influence the style of the hair and the distribution of keratin along the hair, accumulating more on one side of the hair fibre because of its shape and angle, further accentuating the spiral shape. It results in an oval or flat hair shape, with unequal thickness of the hair cuticle, smaller diameter, and lower tensile properties than other hair types. This style of hair also has an impact on the sebum repartition on the hair fibre, with the nourishing oil that is naturally produced in the scalp that does not readily flow down curly strands.
All these parameters have a detrimental impact on the state of textured hair state and how to take care of it:
• Textured hair tends to have more weak points within fibres and therefore can be more easily broken or damaged,
• The tight curls lead to a high number of knots, making it difficult to comb, especially when hair is dry,
• Hair moisture and hydration are lower in comparison to other hair types,
• Presence of curls makes the appearance of hair less shiny and more dull,
• Definition of curls, hair volume, baby hair and frizz are day to day issues,
• Scalp can suffer from dandruff, oiliness, or build-up because of the resulting high number of products to use to take care of textured hair.
These numerous challenges can make the list of hair care needs quite long, way longer than mine! The non-exhaustive list would be the need for anti-frizz, anti-shrinkage, curl definition, detangling, cuticle smoothing, hydration, scalp health, hair growth and good-looking hair the day after washing. To be able to answer to a high number of these needs, people with textured hair have developed a specific and elaborate hair care routine.
What hair care routine do many people with textured hair follow?
Women involved in the Hair Care Focus Group in Brazil explained to us in detail the hair care routine they follow. I must say, this is a lot of work, and I admire their dedication. In general, people with textured hair follow a series of five steps, with different purposes, all important to get healthy hair:
- Pre-wash: the idea here is to take care either of the hair fibre, or of the scalp, or both. For the fibre, it is important to protect the hair length from the effect of shampoo and prevent dryness. For the scalp, people want to prevent hair loss more and more and promote a good hair and scalp health, especially for better and quicker hair growth.
- Treatment: The need here is to provide moisturisation and nourishment to naturally dry and dehydrated hair. The objective is to impart a healthy state upon the hair and offer repair, strength, smoothness, shine and more.
- Conditioning: It helps to detangle hair, which is the most well-known attribute of this step. To that is the added importance sealing-down the hair cuticle and retain the treatment benefits.
- Styling: The last step and final touch to get beautiful hair. Many benefits can be looked at here and it really depends on individuals’ specific needs, including the desire to remove frizz, define the curls, protect from heat and from environmental damage, and also to smooth the hair ends and impart shine.
Based on all of these challenges, needs and the usual hair care routine followed by people with textured hair, Croda has developed a dedicated formulation kit.
What formulations have Croda developed for textured hair?
The ‘Textured Hair Routine Formulation Kit’ contains 11 initial formulations, divided into the five steps we explored above.
- Hair Nutrition Transformative Bar: Contains ingredients to provide hydration and help to protect the hair from shampoo detergency. The little extra? Its texture melts upon application and transforms into an oil.
- Scalp Vitality Serum: A healthy scalp appeals to those who desire long, beautiful hair as they believe that a healthy scalp will help promote faster hair growth. This is the promise of the Scalp Vitality Serum.
- Essential Balance Purifying Scalp Serum: Thanks to Nutrinvent Balance™, it regulates the sebum production on scalp, and can allow consumers to go longer between washes and prevent hair and scalp damage caused by shampoo detergency.
- Essential Balance Scalp Foam: Positions itself as an alternative to shampoo, allowing consumers to avoid washing their hair to frequently, and instantly refreshes and revitalises the hair and scalp.
- Highly Concentrated Sulfate-Free Powder Shampoo: Helps to deeply cleanse the hair and scalp. Its powder format allows the creation of a light foam when water is added to help get rid of residues, especially on the scalp, whilst also preserving hair.
- Hair Acidifier Treatment: Balances the hair pH to decrease porosity that more likely occur to textured hair and can leave the hair rough, dry, frizzy and vulnerable to damage, and improve hair appearance.
- Deep Nutrition Hair Mask: Restores moisture and nourishes the hair to help bring shine, smoothness, and softness to the touch to damaged and brittle hair.
- Multifunctional Inclusive Conditioner: Helps impart exceptional conditioning whilst strengthening the hair.
- Capillary Routine – Day After: Designed for use between washes, giving options to treat the hair depending on what it needs and making sure the hair will look the way we want.
- Lustrous Hair Finishing Gel-Oil: With a gel that transforms into an oil when applied on hands, it helps to perfect the hair for a better look and feel.
- Curl Defining Sap: Perfect for the final appearance of the hair, it helps to get well-defined curls without any frizz.
The purpose of the ‘Textured Hair Routine Formulation Kit’ is really to adapt as much as possible to the routine of people with textured hair, whilst offering the benefits they are looking for in hair care products.
I will probably never know what it is like to suffer from social pressures or discrimination because of my hair type, but after listening to all these women during the focus group in Sao Paulo, I now feel I better understand them and the situation they were in and still are somehow. I genuinely want to be part of the solution and I’m really happy to have been part of the team who created the ‘Textured Hair Routine Formulation Kit’. It has been created to fit as closely as possible to the hair care routine they already have in place, meeting their most important needs. But this is not over, the search for a better understanding of hair and its needs will continue, as well as the proposal of better adapted solutions for all. Stay tuned, we won’t stop there!
Transformative Hair Nutrition Bar
Textured hair routine formulations
Transformative Hair Nutrition Bar
Give your old hair care routine a boost with this transformative bar that can provide the hydration...
Scalp Vitality Serum
The Scalp Vitality Serum is the product you need to boost your scalp health and regenerate your...
Lustrous Hair Finishing Gel-Oil
Give a boost to the final step of your routine with this transformative Lustrous Hair Finishing...
Textured Hair Routine formulation kit
Textured Hair Routine formulation kit
Discover our latest blogs
Reducing Carbon Emissions in the Personal Care Industry
Having explored in an earlier blog what a carbon footprint is and how it is measured, let’s take a deeper dive into uncovering what can be done to reduce a carbon footprint and the associated...Read more
Phytessence™ French Rose EC
Unveil the skin's natural beauty with Crodarom's latest extract! Eco-designed to provide the hydrating, protecting and soothing properties of locally sourced organic rose flowers!Read more
Discover Croda’s latest solar protection formulations highlighted at FLSCC Sunscreen Symposium
Croda welcomed customers and colleagues to their stand at the FLSCC Sunscreen Symposium at the beautiful Disney's Yacht & Beach Club from September 13th through 15th.Read more