Sustainability at Croda – Sustainable personal care ingredients
Sustainability is at the heart of product innovation at Croda, and it is considered at all stages of the supply chain, manufacturing process and product development.
Read on to learn more about how we use sustainable practices to develop our personal care ingredients.
As a founder member of ASD, we're happy to share its 2021 update on progress
- When creating new ingredients, we always consider the 12 Principles of Green Chemistry and carry out sustainability impact assessments.
- We have ingredients that enable our customers to formulate at lower temperatures (cold process), reducing the energy requirements and costs of manufacture.
- Our speciality polymers may improve the water resistance and durability of formulations, increasing effectiveness whilst reducing the frequency of applications, saving the amount of product consumers need to use.
- Our range of UV filters are utilised in formulations around the world to protect consumers from the sun's harmful rays.
- We will accelerate the transition to bio-based products, moving away from fossil and petrochemical feedstocks. For example, our ECO range of surfactants are a 100% bio-based alternative to traditional ethoxylated products.
- Natural ingredients are at the heart of our products, with 69% of our raw materials currently coming from renewable natural sources.
- We use sustainable palm (RSPO) in the manufacturing of our personal care products.
- We are an early member of the Sustainable Castor Association, a group focused on sustainability in castor farm communities and in castor oil and derivatives supple chains.
- We are a founder member of Action for Sustainable Derivatives (ASD), a collaborative initiative that promotes responsible sourcing. ASD has accelerated the transformation of the palm derivatives industry towards compliance with ‘No Deforestation, No Peat, No Exploitation’ (NDPE) principles.
- By 2030, we will achieve our Science Based Targets (SBTs) by reducing our emissions in line with limiting the global temperature rise to 1.5ºC above pre-industrial levels, maximising the use of renewable energy in our operations. Thereafter, by 2050 we will achieve net zero Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions.
- We are working closely with our customers to develop products that offer carbon saving benefits in use, to enable a transition to a low-carbon economy.
- By 2030, use of our products will avoid four times the carbon emissions associated with our business.
- Where we can, we utilise alternative energy sources, such as solar power and the conversion of landfill gas to heat and power to run our plant at Atlas Point. The landfill gas provides enough power to run 55 percent of plant operations, or about the equivalent of powering 3,500 homes.
- We will protect the natural environment through the responsible management of our water consumption and waste production. By 2025, we will eliminate process waste to landfill across our operations. By 2030, we will reduce our water use impact by 50% from our 2018 level.
Building a Sustainable Future
Sustainability is at the heart of everything we do. We have ambitious targets to become Climate, Land and People Positive by 2030 as we strive to be the most sustainable supplier of innovative ingredients. Discover more about how our sustainability initiatives can help make your products more sustainable.Learn More
Sustainable palm oil (RSPO)
As an industry leader in products containing sustainable palm oil derivatives, we encourage you to explore our RSPO-certified ingredients.Learn more
ECO Range of 100% Bio-Based SurfactantsAccelerating our sustainable future
The new 100% bio-based ECO Range is the widest range of 100% renewable surfactants on the market that have identical performance to petro-based options.Learn more